DEL ELGERSMA, B.A., J.D.
Del Elgersma is a founding partner of Beacon Law Centre, practising in the areas of business law, estate planning and trusts, and real estate. Del has helped hundreds of new business owners take advantage of the liability protection and tax benefits of incorporating. As a registered trademark agent, Del also helps business owners protect their “brand”. Successful business owners and their advisors turn to Del to help implement corporate reorganizations for tax or succession planning purposes, which may include an “estate freeze” transaction, a holding company and a discretionary family trust. As one of the first lawyers in BC to write wills in plain language, Del’s clients benefit from estate plans that are free of legalese. Del finds particular satisfaction in helping clients who are “stuck” to identify their options and create an estate plan tailored to their needs. Del is a frequent speaker on estate planning topics and has developed and taught courses on incapacity planning and will and estate planning for the Peninsula Elder College. Starting his legal career in Vancouver with one of the leading real estate conveyancing law firms in Canada, Del has helped thousands of clients with their purchase, sale and mortgage transactions, and has experience with all types of deals, from standard residential transactions to complex and creative commercial deals and developments.
Del grew up in Edmonton, Alberta, and moved to Vancouver to attend law school at UBC. After articling with a large Vancouver law firm, Del was called to the bar in 1992, becoming the youngest lawyer in British Columbia. After practising law for four years in Vancouver, Del and his wife chose the quality of life available on Vancouver Island and have made the Saanich Peninsula their home since 1996. Del’s wife Karen works with Tourism Victoria, after 18 years as a TV reporter on Shaw TV. They have two children. Del’s passions outside of work are spending time with his family and competitive swimming. He also loves to travel and keeps a journal of his travels at www.travelling.lawyer.
Resume of Del Elgersma
Called to the Bar, 1992, British Columbia
- University of British Columbia, Juris Doctor, 1991
- University of Alberta, BA with Distinction (Economics), 1988
- Calvin College, Michigan; Faculty Honors Scholarship
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- Member of the Victoria Wills & Trusts Section of the CBA, BC Branch (Chair, 1997-1999)
- Member of the Vancouver Island Commercial & Real Estate Section of the CBA, BC Branch
- Member of Provincial Council of the CBA, BC Branch (1997-1999)
- Author of a quarterly legal newsletter used by law firms throughout British Columbia (1999 – 2000)
- Lecturer for various community organizations on wills and estates, starting a business, and real estate law
- Member, Central Saanich Police Board (2011-present)
- Director, Victoria Christian Education Society (Pacific Christian School) (2012-2015)
- Director, Pacific Christian School Foundation (2008-2015)
- Director, Chemainus Theatre Foundation (2009-2012)
- Attend Saanich Baptist Church
- Official Agent for the Honourable Gary Lunn, Member of Parliament, for the 2008 Federal Election
- Director and Corporate Secretary, Habitat for Humanity Victoria (2005-2007)
- President, Saanich Peninsula Chamber of Commerce (2000 – 2002, Director from 1996 – 2002)
- Director and President, First Pacific Theatre Society, a professional theatre company in Vancouver (1993 – 95)
I am writing to tell you how much Michael and I have appreciated you. Through this whole gyrating adventure of great excitement and crushing disappointments you have been rock solid.
Every financial institution broke their promise and let us down one after the other. It was a roller coaster ride. But in the end we knew we could rely upon your steady support and continuous availability. In your absence Lianne filled in very well
May we commend each and everyone of your staff for their courtesy and accommodation.
What a pleasure.
Dealing with Beacon Law is a pleasant experience. Del is approachable, professional, friendly and knowledgeable – in short, the best lawyer we have ever dealt with.
Dear Lianne, I recently had an occasion to refer a client to your firm. Her business was in the process of the dissolution of a long-standing partnership. Although she has been in business for a long time, and runs a very smart operation, she is also a very trusting individual. I was concerned that her partner was taking advantage of her and strongly recommended that she get independent legal advice.
Because you were heading out of town, she met with your partner, Del Elgersma. My client was very impressed with Del’s thoroughness, caring, business knowledge and overall handling of the situation. At one point, the agreement was in danger of collapsing, and it was Del’s calm yet thorough response that brought things to a satisfactory close.
Suffice to say that my client was effusive in her compliments to Del and your firm, impressed with your professionalism, and definitely a beneficiary of your “Trusted Advice and Outstanding Service”!
I want to thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for doing my in-laws’ end of life planning some years ago….. My husband and I had been after them for many years and they wouldn’t talk about it or deal with it, but then they went to one of your seminars and they were finally convinced to get it done, and very wisely, completed all the paperwork and planning with you. Up until today, they had forgotten they had done the paperwork and finally dug around and there it was! They were very pleased to show it all to me and it opened the gates to a long and practical discussion between us.
I am hugely relieved because I know from handling my own parents’ affairs, that this is an extremely important step to allow for peace of mind on all sides.
Once again, thank you so much.